Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backing up global file systems

2007-05-01 12:14:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backing up global file systems
From: clri.c0t0d0 at gmail.com (i node)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:14:11 -0400
I'm backing up global file systems that are mounted on 2-3 cluster nodes;
each node is a separate NetBackup client.  So how do I avoid backing up the
same data 2-3 times?

Actually, NetBackup only seems successful in backing up the data on the node
that owns the disk group; the other nodes get an error for each file:
"VX_GETEXT failed on ... Errno = 48: Operation not supported".  I'd like to
avoid these errors and not waste time on data I've already backed-up. Time
is the real issue -- these backups are rarely completing on time.

On Sun Cluster, global file systems are not in any resource group that could
have a virtual hostname that fails over from one node to another.  I suppose
I could set that up, and use the virtual hostname for the NB client
name, but it is a lot of work just for backups.