Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.0 and cluster (Veritas Cluster Server)

2007-04-27 18:44:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.0 and cluster (Veritas Cluster Server)
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
> Say we have a VCS 5.0 cluster with two nodes A and B. We want to install
> NetBackup 6.0 on both nodes and have them configured with VCS. We'd like
> to made node A media server mediaA (VIP) and node B mediaB (VIP) and
> each is responsible for different sets of storage units and clients. Is
> it possible to set the cluster up so that media server mediaB can
> failover to node A where media server mediaB is running and wise versa?
> Does NetBackup support this kind of setup?

I don't see how this can work unless the media server binaries are smart
enough to bind specifically to the failover IP.  I don't know any
mechanism that would let you configure that.  Basically, the netbackup
daemons do not look to me like they are written in such a way to support
multiple instances on a single host.  That would be required for your
scenario.

I would think that it would be easier to set them up as separate
(normal) media servers, and have the policies set up in such a way that
the other server is available as a backup.

Is there a benefit to trying to do this under VCS as opposed to just
running them independently and letting Netbackup handle it?

> Does this fall into the category mentinoed in NetBackup High
> Availability System Administrator's Guide: "NetBackup is not supported
> as an active/active application in a cluster"?

I would imagine they were referring to the master (and the lack of
support for multiple separate catalogs, or multiple servers sharing a
catalog). , but I don't believe that doing the media servers is any
easier.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com