Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SATA disk backup performance

2007-04-27 17:25:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SATA disk backup performance
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:25:02 -0400
Before the "SATA Sux" crowd gets going here I'll just say this:

I run 14 x 5 SATAII 500GB Disks in a Raid 5 and get better than
200MB/sec writes and easily drive LTO3 to 130MB/sec.  That said, I'm
running completely different hardware, Dell server & storage.  Raid 5,
qlogic HBAs & PERC Raid Controllers.

The best thing anyone on this list ever said to me when I was in your
shoes was forget about Netbackup.  How fast can you copy data from point
a to point b on your solution?  Then how fast can you multistream FTPs
to the same solution?  Once you get those numbers into the range you are
expecting then you can start to performance tune NBU.  Until then, your
buffer settings are a waste of time.

-Jonathan