Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP and SSO in NetBackup 6.0

2007-04-26 13:33:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP and SSO in NetBackup 6.0
From: spe08 at co.henrico.va.us (Spearman, David)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:33:10 -0400
Rongsheng,

We use nbu6mp4/sso/ndmp to back up celerra cifs servers. It is easier than with
5.1 but works fine with one word of caution down below.

You need to zone the fibre so the celerra sees the drives. Setting up the
library is specific to that box. Once all the fibre stuff is done you will need
an sso licemse and a ndmp license. Once loaded you will go to media and device
mgt/devices/ndmp hosts (this is the gui of course, (sorry all you died in the
wool cmd line junkies) and add the name of the CIFS server you want to back up.
After that use the Configure storage devices wizard to discover the paths via
the ndmp option. This is way simplistic. It is well detailed in the 6.0 admin
guides and those should be used. I followed them step by step and had no
problems.

CAUTION: I have mentioned this about the Celerra before but will do so again.
If you are running the 5.5 code on the Celerra when you do an interogation of
the unit whether by gui or command line the process can get hung up. The
Celerra instead of timing out will fail the datamover. If you don't pick up on
the fact that the DM has failed and you run another interogation you might fail
the 2nd datamover which makes for a lot of unhappy users. So when you do this
have nasadmin up and stop what your doing if you get the first failure. EMC
knows about this, we actually had their people on site, who promptly blew away
our celerra database. They have not been back.

David Spearman
County of Henrico