Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup, VSS & Clariion

2007-04-13 08:09:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup, VSS & Clariion
From: gary.matthews at logicacmg.com (Matthews, Gary)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:09:57 +0100
Hi,

Have a bit of a quandary. We have a CX380 Flare22 for one of our
customers. We're currently backing up specific drives with Netbackup 6
MP4 integrating Advanced/offhost client and VSS using the EMC VSS
hardware provider. All clients are W2K Snapping. There is one drive that
we're successfully backing up on a nightly basis - Netbackup/VVS calls
creates a snapshot/session of the LUN and presents it to the media
server, putting it in the storage group and mounting it for backup.
Yesterday the customer requested that the drive be backed up/copied on a
regular basis during the day in case of corruption. Ideal candidate for
snapping I thought. So I've created a Snapshot of this LUN and scripts
that run every two hours creating a session and removing old sessions so
that we keep 3 sessions.

Unfortunately last night the backup run and added the backup snapshot
into the storage group rather than the VSS snapshot, this of course
failed to mount then.

I've thought of maybe scripting a pre and post batch scripts to the
NetBackup job that deletes and recreates the backup snapshot but was
wondering if there's another way around it, and why does it pick up that
snapshot as opposed to the VSS one? TIA Gary