Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Methods to Backup SQL 2005 mirror

2007-04-10 02:57:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Methods to Backup SQL 2005 mirror
From: simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net (WEAVER, Simon (external))
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:57:35 +0100
Steve
you say a "mirror" but I refer to it as a cluster - although you are correct
in that one DB is "live" on a running NODE, but from a NetBackup
perspective, it essentially sees the Virtual Server name as the "Computer
name it backs the DB's up".

So if you have NODE1 and NODE2 you can do file level backups. Your SQL
Virtual Server Name is "SQLSERVER" and its this that should be configured to
backup the online databases.

I cannot recall the license issue, but I am sure we just got one license key
that allowed us to backup SQL in a cluster.

The only time you would need to fail over the backups is if a node failed.
For example, the past 5 months, the "SQLSERVER" Backups have continued to
run on NODE2 without any problems, and so far, without the need to manual or
auto failover.

I assume that both of your Servers are configured to connect to the same
storage, where SQL DB resides?

Regards

Simon Weaver
3rd Line Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator

EADS Astrium Limited, B23AA IM (DCS)
Anchorage Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5PU

Email:  <mailto:Simon.Weaver at Astrium-eads.net> Simon.Weaver at
Astrium-eads.net