Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape duplication with NB 6.0

2007-04-05 19:22:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape duplication with NB 6.0
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 16:22:25 -0700 (PDT)
> I am trying to explore the tape duplication option for NetBackup.
>
> I have a problem where when a job spans multiple tapes (example 3
> tapes), and when it is duplicated to a backend device.  Tape 1 and
> Tape 3 will duplicate ok, but tape 2 fails.

How are you doing this duplication?  Normal bpduplicate?  I'm not sure
what you mean by a 'backend' device.

What is the failure that occurs?

> The only way to remediate is to make a duplicate copy of tape 2 via
> NetBackup, and then initiated the back-end duplication again...

What's the difference between the the duplication in your first step
(which fails) and the one in your second step (which works)?

> will this work?  How would NetBackup update the catalog with the new
> barcode of tape 2?

Tape 2 wouldn't get a new barcode normally.

Netbackup doesn't duplicate "tapes".  It duplicates images from some
tapes onto other tapes with additional space.  (Due to error spots,
identical tape cartridges are not guaranteed to hold identical amounts
of data.  So if you tried to copy a tape, you could easily run into a
situation where the target tape could not hold all the data present on
the source tape.)

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com