Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DataDomain and Netbackup

2007-04-03 07:57:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DataDomain and Netbackup
From: jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com (Justin Piszcz)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 07:57:39 -0400 (EDT)
Comments are below:

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Tom Burrell wrote:

> Where do I start?
>
> What kind of compression do you see?
The compression is really strange, these rates are based upon 100-200GB of
actual data from a Windows server, but it only shows up as 30GB or so:

ddr# df -h
Resource              Size GB   Used GB   Avail GB   Use%
-------------------   -------   -------   --------   ----
/ddvar                   29.5       0.8       27.2     3%
Pre-compression             -     448.6          -      -
Data                   3857.6      11.4     3846.1     0%
    If 100% cleaned*    3857.6      11.4     3846.1     0%
Meta-data                19.4       0.0       18.3     0%
Index                   181.5       3.9      177.6     2%
-------------------   -------   -------   --------   ----
Estimated compression factor*: 29.2x = 448.6/(11.4+0.0+3.9)
* Estimate based on 2007/04/03 cleaning
ddr#

> How does the performance compare to tape/other disk in
> your environment?
The DDR units we have are older models, they use some sort of proprietary
RAID-6 technology so if you run one stream you will see 20-30MB/s but if
you run more than one, well, you will see 5-8MB/s on each stream.

> Are you using an appliance, or a gateway unit?  If a
> gateway, what do you have behind it for disk?
I am using an DDR unit for disk backups, it has several disks and cost a
bunch :)

> Do you replicate between units?  DR or Remote Office
> backup?
You can, but it won't help with NetBackup catalogs :)

ddr# help replication

NAME
      replication - Manage the Replicator for replication of data from one
      restorer to another.

SYNOPSIS
      replication add source <hostname> destination <destination>

      replication break <destination>

I currently do not use replication.

> How does the replication do on bandwidth?
I believe it only rsyncs the blocks that have changed every 5 minutes if I
remember correctly(?)

> How has the support experience been for you?  How is
> the reliability in your opinion?
We do not POUND the DDR units to the ground; but, overall they are nice to
have to use as DSU's to backup hosts with many files or slow links, that
way it saves our tapes from shoe shining.

Justin.