Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Return code 84

2007-03-21 22:31:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Return code 84
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:31:05 -0500
On 3/21/2007 1:11 PM, Hall, Christian N. wrote:
  > Environment:
>
> Media server:
> Host: Windows 2003 SP1
>
> Hardware HP DL380 G4
>
> HBA TYPE: Emulex LP9802-E
> Emulex LightPulse LP9802 2 Gigabit PCI Fibre Channel Adapter
> WWN: 20:00:00:00:C9:3F:48:52
> Diver version : 5-1.30A6; HBAAPI v2.2.b, 02-17-05
> Firmware version: 1.91A5
> Driver Name: elxstor
>
> STK Tape T9940B tape drive:
> Drive Type: sktt9940b
> Code Version: 1.35.412/4.08
> Interface: Fiber
>

> STK Windows 2003 tape driver:
> Mfg: StorageTek
> Driver date: 2/26/2003
> Driver version: 6.0.0.1
>
> Veritas Netbackup 5.1MP6
>
> Fabric:
> Silkworm 3800
> code version
>
> Kernel:     5.4
> Fabric OS:  v3.2.1a
> Made on:    Fri May 12 15:20:59 PDT 2006
> Flash:      Fri May 12 15:21:57 PDT 2006
> BootProm:   Tue Oct 30 10:24:38 PST 2001
>
> I have a Windows 2003 media server that is getting constant 84s' when it
> attempts to write to media.  The media is new, and other hosts can write
> to it.  The Emulex drivers are storport with the required Microsoft hot
> fix but it still fails repeatedly. I have opened many cases with
> VERITAS, STK, SUN, Emulex but thay all seemed puzzled. Suggestions, or
> help would be greatly appreciated.

We've seen 84s pop up that were fibre related - they were simply being
reported in the system error logs as SCSI errors.  Make sure that the
drivers and firmware are current (I haven't checked online, but that
driver version looks like it might be old) and that you're not logging
any errors on your switch ports.  That goes for not only the fibre
drivers but also the tape drivers - anything dating back 4 years doesn't
sound right.  Double-check the distances of your fibre and make really
sure you're not exceeding any lengths - for example, if you're going to
another building, make absolutely sure you haven't hit the limits,
espeically if the fibre is 62.5 micron stuff.  Clear the port stats on
the 3800, run your backups, and check the stats.  We ran into an issue
where our switch ISLs were too long for the speed we were running them
at.  We dropped the speeds and they were fine until we eventually put in
single-mode fibre.  Consider replacing the fibre - check for kinks,
tight loops, etc.  Consider logging a call with Brocade if you have that
option.  The 3800 isn't exactly a modern switch...

Since most of the parts here appear to be old, has this configuration
ever worked?  What changed since it was working last?

Instead of looking in the bptm logs, go to the system event logs and see
if anything is hiding in there.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP