Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Redhat or Fedora 2.6 kernel NB 5.1?

2007-02-21 18:33:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Redhat or Fedora 2.6 kernel NB 5.1?
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:33:36 -0500
Thanks.

Yep - I disabled SELinux during the OS install though I will mention
that FC6 has a nice little config tool for SELinux now that might
actually make me consider using it for something with less time
pressure.

I had worked it out before you wrote.   The main problem I found is that
for whatever reasons FC5 and  FC6 (and maybe FC4 - I haven't looked at
that yet) don't install xinetd by default!   When I did the client
software install NBU apparently checked for xinetd and not finding it
assumed it was running inetd (it wasn't) so just created an inetd.conf
with what it wanted.   (To me that sounds a little brain dead but
considering the answer to my second question who am I to talk? :-( )

Anyway based on the realization it didn't have xinetd I did the
following to get it going:

Doing "yum install xinetd" got me the correct xinetd stuff binary.

Running "/etc/init.d/xinetd start" got it running.

Reinstalled the NBU client and it created the appropriate files under
/etc/xinetd.d

Started a test backup which was sitting at "connecting" until it dawned
on me I hadn't updated iptables (firewall) for NBU.   I ran
/etc/init.d/iptables stop to turn off iptables since it's an internal
box.   I'll probably go ahead and do firewall setup for it later since
I'd already worked that out for some external boxes running earlier
versions of RedHat but for now it's running the backup so I'll leave it
alone.

By the way for anyone reading it in the archives - if you decide not to
use iptables and Veritas firewall setup make sure you use chkconfig to
disable the automatic start of iptables on reboots.