Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing Up Old Files

2007-01-18 21:54:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing Up Old Files
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:54:43 -0600
On 1/18/2007 2:47 PM, Brooks, Jason wrote:
> My manager has just posed a question to me to answer.  The scenario is
> that we have a multitude of old files, dating to the 1980s, that are
> being backed up weekly.  Many of the files are of a significant size and
> have a significant impact on our backup capacity.  In an effort to
> reduce backup sizes and windows and free up resources, he wants to
> basically date filter a backup and archive that.
>
> For instance, create a policy and backup all files dated prior to 2002.
> Obviously, I can find nothing in the bare NBU that will do that.  Does
> anyone know of a NBU product/hack that could do this?

The product is Enterprise Vault.

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/agents_options_details.jsp?pcid=1018&pvid=322_1&aoid=406

It ain't cheap and isn't a hack.  It's a serious archiving solution for
serious archiving problems.

Don't forget that you actually have 2 problems, not 1.  You don't just
want to be able to archive the files.  You probably want to be able to
get them back :-)

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA