Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data Domain with NBU

2007-01-11 12:36:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain with NBU
From: Bill_Jorgensen at csgsystems.com (Jorgensen, Bill)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:36:00 -0700
Mike:

I echo Chuck's experience. We are running NBU 6MP4 with DD460s and a 560
with a Sol10/T2000 master. We have not been able to get the network
throughput that we have wanted. The network throughput is adequate to
make our windows. DD tech support is good. We have three in production
and replicate to three more in our BCP cold site. Restorals are quick
and reliable too. Compression (de-duplication) numbers may vary. We
found that the "compression" factor is definitely data-dependent. Do
your home work as to how compressed your native data is. If there is
little compression you could do very well on the de-dup/compression (20x
or greater (maybe)). Do not count on what the sales guys and their
glossies say. Test it first. They do reduce the data stored/replicated.
They work as advertised.

Good luck,

Bill