Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 155 errors and NDMP backups

2006-12-22 08:39:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 155 errors and NDMP backups
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:39:32 -0500
155 error means the disk where your netbackup catalog lives is full.
This is SERIOUSLY bad mojo, and most folks keep an eye on this verycarefully.
NDMP backups create HUGE image files, proportional to the number offiles,
rather than the size of the volume.
Sounds like these 3 filers have a LOT of small files, and are fillingthe NBU
catalog disk...then when the backup fails, it frees up all thatspace.....
Also, since and NDMP backup creates a snapshot on the filer, and cacheswrites
during the backup, monitor the usage on the filer volumes you'rebacking up as
well.

Paul
--

> -----Original Message-----> From: veritas-bu-bounces at
> mailman.eng.auburn.edu > [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces at
> mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf > Of Shane Liebling> Sent: December 21,
> 2006 5:33 PM> To: Veritas List> Subject: [Veritas-bu] 155 errors and NDMP
> backups> > > Hey all, I am getting some odd errors...  I am backing up a
> whole mess> of NetApp's via 3 way backups through Solaris media servers w/>
> fiber-attached LTO3 drives.  For some reason on three of the netapps I>
> appear to consistently get 155 (disk is full) errors.  The volumes> being
> backed up aren't any bigger than those that back up just fine> from the other
> filers, so I don't think its a size issue...> > There doesn't appear to be
> much info online re: people having > issues w/ 155's...> > Any thoughts?> >
> -Shane> _______________________________________________> Veritas-bu maillist
> -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
> ====================================================================================
La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.
This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
ofCanada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying
of thisemail or the information it contains by other than the intended
recipient isunauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it
immediately fromyour system and notify the sender promptly by email that you
have done so.
Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y
rapportent. Toute diffusion,utilisation ou copie de ce courriel ou des
renseignements qu'il contient par unepersonne autre que le ou les destinataires
d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous recevezce courriel par erreur, veuillez le
supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans d?lai ?l'exp?diteur un message
?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de votreordinateur toute copie
du courriel re?u.