Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 Read/Write LTO2

2006-12-20 08:31:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 Read/Write LTO2
From: WAly at Mobinil.com (Wessam Aly)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:31:35 +0200
Yes you're right, once you've written on any LTO tape using an LTO3
drive, you cant read it from an LTO2 or LTO1 drive.

I have some LTO3 drives with master server on HP-UX, I have found that
you should read from at least 3 filesystems at the same time (MPX = 3)
and these filesystems in my environment have storage connected by a 2Gb
fibre to an entreprise storage array. I get ~35 MB/s write on the drive.

If you have a windows server, or you're not connected to a large stoage
array, you probably wont be able to pump out enough data to handle a
direct stream write on the drive. I recommend you stage the data on a
local disk first and then destage to disk, this will speed up the read
performance as you are reading from local disk and one/few large files.

Wessam Aly
Senior UNIX & Storage Systems Admin.
HPUX-CSA Certified Systems Administrator