Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FalconStor vs. Data Domain

2006-12-15 18:26:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FalconStor vs. Data Domain
From: cpreston at glasshouse.com (Curtis Preston)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:26:03 -0500
Cheryl,

Although I'm curious as to how you narrowed the list down to these two
vendors, I'll answer the question on your terms.   Perhaps you were too
small for the likes of Copan (right there in Longmont with you) and
SEPATON.

I'm eagerly awaiting the GA release of the de-dupe versions of SEPATON
and Falconstor.   They'll probably outperform Data Domain on the high
end, but not everybody needs that.  In addition, Data Domain's got them
beat by about three years and several hundred happy customers.  There's
something to be said for a big installed base.

If the Falconstor unit gives you something you can't get from DD, then
go for it.  It's all about meeting your requirements.  Just realize
that, although they've got a long list of happy VTL customers
(especially if you include all the EMC, IBM, and Sun deals), you'll be
an early adopter of their de-dupe product.

BTW, you don't need to buy more drive licenses for you VTL.  You need to
buy a VTL license, which is priced per GB.

If you use DD to make a DSU, right now you don't pay per GB.  That will
come in NBU 6.5, though.

---

W. Curtis Preston

Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS

VP Data Protection

GlassHouse Technologies