Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Queue v. Requeue

2006-12-13 22:09:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Queue v. Requeue
From: jamisonj at zgi.com (JAJA (Jamie Jamison))
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:09:23 -0800
I'm running NetBackup 5.1MP5 on a Sun V880 server with 4CPUs and 8Gb of
RAM. My tape storage is IBM Ultrium LTO Gen 2 drives on a fiber
connected L180 library. Lately I'm seeing a lot of jobs requeue when I
watch my backups kick off. Other jobs just queue up and sit there but
some jobs queue and then requeue a few times before finally starting.
What I see when I look at the status for the job is something like this:

12/13/2006 6:50:22 PM - mounting K00696
12/13/2006 6:50:22 PM - end writing
12/13/2006 6:50:23 PM - Info bpsched(pid=17014) Re-queueing job due to
busy resources (134)
12/13/2006 6:50:32 PM - mounting K00696
12/13/2006 6:50:34 PM - end writing
12/13/2006 6:50:34 PM - Info bpsched(pid=17014) Re-queueing job due to
busy resources (134)
12/13/2006 6:50:39 PM - mounting K00696
12/13/2006 6:50:40 PM - end writing
12/13/2006 6:50:40 PM - Info bpsched(pid=17014) Re-queueing job due to
busy resources (134)

This confuses me. I assume that NetBackup is actually trying to mount
this tape and then finding that all of the drives are in use. Is there a
communications breakdown here? Why isn't NetBackup just queueing these
jobs until a drive and tape are available. I haven't seen any failures
yet, but it concerns me and I don't understand why some jobs start and
sit in the queue until a drive is ready and then start and others
requeue.

Thank You,

Jamie Jamison