Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Rman - is it necessary to stop and start the oracle services

2006-12-13 12:39:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Rman - is it necessary to stop and start the oracle services
From: Mark.Kilpatrick at edsgfs.ie (Mark Kilpatrick)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:39:06 -0000
I have configured an oracle rman backup on a Windows 2003 64bit cluster. I am
using netbackup 5.1 mp6 client and a windows 2003 netbackup 51 server.The
oracle agent licenses are installed. The attempt to run the backup by
specifying the script successfully connects to the database and rman catalog
server but fails with the following error.

RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on SBT_TAPE1 channel at 12/13/2006
17:15:37
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library

I have not stopped the oracle services and re-started them as instructed in the
installation guide as i cannot do this easlily as the server is 24 hours. Is
sthis step necessary to get the backup to work? What will stopping oracle
accomplish for a netbackup client agent point of view?

Also, when i open Backup, Archive and Restore on the client I cannot see the
oracle database.

THanks for help.

whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify the system manager.