Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6 compatibility w/ 3.4 Clients?

2006-12-12 19:14:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6 compatibility w/ 3.4 Clients?
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:14:10 -0600
On 12/12/2006 12:10 PM, Christopher Jay Manders wrote:
> I have been having just loads of fun with this upgrade, since here we
> have only limited access to client machines.
>
> A 'drag' might even summarize the whole 6.0 experience.
>
> EMM did not upgrade nicely, so all of our NDMP backups have been hosed
> up, plus Vault settings were hosed up to the point that nbvault would
> not ever start. Then combine in the new 'well documented' feature of not
> supporting older than old clients (for the record we note that we have
> blissfully had no problems with 3.4 clients [such as for Mac8&9, Solaris
> 2.5.1,2.6, HP/UX10.20, Windows95.98] in our previous 5.1 environment)
> and we have a 'bad month' of lots of overtime effort... Our group has
> discussed it and we have to term the experience as a 'downgrade' so far,
> even though there are nice features in 6.0 as advertised. :(
>
> So far, the cost for the upgrade has been more than any other (3.4->4.5,
> 4.5->5.0, or 5.0->5.1).
>
> It will be another month before I am over the upgrade.
>
> And another month before I am caught up on sleep. ;)
>
> I think this is the last 'upgrade' that we do. The next one will be from
> scratch or not at all..with eyes wide shut. 8-)
>
> I hope others have had a better time than we have. The Vault fix alone
> was enough to cause grey hair...

The EMM upgrade caused major grief for a bunch of customers for which
the environment wasn't valid in the first place.  Given that you were
running 3.4 and have been upgrading the whole time, there's a good
chance you either broke some rules, took a shortcut you should not have
taken over the years, or corrupted one or more of your various databases
somewhere along the lines.

The presentation from Symantec I went to last week compared the 6.0
upgrade to an "heart, lung, and kidney transplant".  I was tempted to
speak up and say "without anesthesia" but I held my tongue :-).  They
also said they wouldn't do that again.

The upgrade was definitely a hard pill to swallow but I do think that
after MP4, we're back on a normal track again.  Those still at 5.x need
to fix their databases *before* they upgrade, but after that at least
they won't have some of the pain some of us have felt through MP3.  And
it was major pain...

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA