Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unix/Linux file sizes question

2006-12-12 09:49:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unix/Linux file sizes question
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:49:52 -0500
It was true of 32 bit.   The limit was actually less than 2 GB.   Even
without that if the application itself isn't compiled with "largefiles"
support it would hit this limit.   Since most Linux is still 32 bit the
NBU for it may not have this support.

Of course the real issue here is that you're not truncating your logs on
a regular basis.  2 GB of log information is quite a bit.  You should
set up a log rotation to save off the original log then start a new log.
Linux has logrotate built for just this purpose.