Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question posed to ACSLS/STK8500 users.

2006-12-08 11:08:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question posed to ACSLS/STK8500 users.
From: jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com (Justin Piszcz)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:08:39 -0500 (EST)
All,

My group is setting up two Sun/StorageTek SL8500s.  Sun did the install of
ACSLS, there were no problems on their side.  Each SL8500 is in its own
environment.  On each SL8500, we have 8 media servers, connected to four
drives each, giving us a total of 32 drives.  For testing, I did the
following.  Ran a NON-MULTIPLEXED backup to each drive, to ensure each
drive worked properly.  To do this I kicked off four jobs in succession.
When I do this, I utilize all 4 drives.  I did this with each media server
without a single problem.  However, when testing everything together, all
32 drives, I kick off 45 jobs for example.  It says there are 32 active
jobs in netbackup, which is correct.  The problem is, randomly, 2 or 3
jobs will hang at "Mounting MediaID.." and then the drive will go down
after 30 minutes.  Why is this?  With an L700, I can send 500-1000 jobs to
all of the drives in it and there is never a mounting problem.  There is
nothing wrong with any of the drives, they are brand new.  I can use ACSLS
and dismount the media from the drives and then re-run my earlier test
backups, one at a time to each of the four drives per-media server without
any issues.  It is only when the robot receives a 'burst' of jobs that
this happens.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks for any help and responses,

Justin.