Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Incorrect Tape Drive Status Causing Drives To Fail on L180 Library

2006-12-04 22:02:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Incorrect Tape Drive Status Causing Drives To Fail on L180 Library
From: jamisonj at zgi.com (JAJA (Jamie Jamison))
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 19:02:38 -0800
        I have a StorageTek L180 library with IBM LTO-2 drives connected to a
Sun media/master server via fibre channel. I have six drives and I recently
migrated to a new media/master server. I'm having a problem with two of the
drives in the system, they show up at the PROM when I run 'probe-scsi-all' and
in the OS when I run 'cfgadm -al' and 'sgscan tape' and show up in robtest.
However when I load a tape into them with robtest, or when NetBackup loads a
tape into them the tape seemingly disappears, a media not present error is
returned and the drive downs itself.
        I have rebuilt the drives starting at the fiber channel level by
deleting the Fabric_WWN_Map file and running cfgadm with the 'force_configure'
option, rebuilt my rmt drivers by running sg.build to build a new st.conf,
removing the existing /dev/rmt drivers, editing /kernel/drv/st.conf and doing a
reconfiguration reboot, reinstalled the sg drivers with the sg.build and
sg.install commands and run the device configuration wizard in NetBackup to
detect the drives. The drives are properly detected, but they don't work. Below
is an example of what happens when I try to load a tape with robtest, note how
the drive can correctly return the barcode of the loaded tape, but as soon as I
try to unload the tape the command fails with a 'media not present' error. Any
help that anyone can give me in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.
These drives are less than three months old so I have a hard time believing
that I've had two of them fail at the same time.

Thanks,

Jamie Jamison

READ_ELEMENT_STATUS complete
m s11 d1
Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1010 to 500
MOVE_MEDIUM complete
s d
drive 1 (addr 500) access = 0 Contains Cartridge = yes
Source address = 1010 (slot 11)
Barcode = K01043
drive 2 (addr 501) access = 1 Contains Cartridge = no
drive 3 (addr 502) access = 1 Contains Cartridge = no
drive 4 (addr 503) access = 1 Contains Cartridge = no
drive 5 (addr 504) access = 1 Contains Cartridge = no
drive 6 (addr 505) access = 1 Contains Cartridge = no
drive 7 (addr 506) access = 1 Contains Cartridge = no
drive 8 (addr 507) access = 1 Contains Cartridge = no
READ_ELEMENT_STATUS complete
unload d1
Opening /dev/rmt/0cbn, please wait...
Error - cannot open /dev/rmt/0cbn (I/O error)
m d1 s11
Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 500 to 1010
move_medium failed
sense key = 0x5, asc = 0x3a, ascq = 0x0, MEDIUM NOT PRESENT