Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Determine efficiency of tape usage.

2006-10-31 14:39:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Determine efficiency of tape usage.
From: stumpb at michigan.gov (Bob Stump)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:39:56 -0500
It all comes down to retention, retention, retention.
NetBackup does not by default allow differing retentions to be on the same tape.
It is possible to have a tape with 9 months retention that is only used by 1
policy/schedule and have only a couple of GB on it.
You can have many ? filled tapes in you environment.
SSO shares tape drives but not tapes. each media server has it's own store of
tapes assigned to it.
Offsite tapes are also usually not full.

Between SSO and vaulting, many users do not see any benefit in the larger
capacity tapes :-(

>>> "Sixbury, Dan" <dsixbury at hrblock.com> 10/31/2006 2:07 PM >>>

How do you determine the efficiency of your tape usage?  i.e. I was just asked
recently about our use of LTO3 tapes since they can hold up to 800 GB
compressed, how much we were actually consuming.  i.e. if we are getting our
money's worth for the larger capacity more expensive tapes.
Thanks
Dan