Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Determine efficiency of tape usage.

2006-10-31 14:22:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Determine efficiency of tape usage.
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:22:19 -0500
Not to be pedantic, but you're getting as much data on the tape as the
tape can hold. :o\

It's a 400GB tape, so it will hold 400GB of data, which may translate as
800GB of highly compressable data......how compressed your data starts
out is dependant on the type of data......

ie, lots of plain ASCII text files and you might be able to compress
800GB onto the 400GB tape, but images, music, dense DBs, etc, you might
only get 450GB on a tape.....either way, "getting your money's worth" is
kind of an odd perspective.
If you're paying more for larger capacity tapes, you're paying for the
native capacity. The compressability of your data isn't determining
value. If you're looking at value in a Gigs/Dollar perspective, you may
or may not want the larger tapes, you may want LTO1 or 2. I haven't
looked at costs lately.
The value in larger capacity tapes is in the overhead....less media to
manage, smaller library footprint, etc, etc.
The TCO is lower, even if the Gigs/Dollar ratio isn't the highest.

Your data is your data....You typically can't change that.
I'd imagine your company isn't going to change their Line of Business so
they have more compressable data to backup. :o)

Sorry if this provided no help at all, as far as answering your
question, but I suppose it's food for thought.

Paul