Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplicate BE images from DLT to hcart media

2006-10-30 16:31:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplicate BE images from DLT to hcart media
From: Richard.Mansell at ccc.govt.nz (Mansell, Richard)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:31:19 +1300
Hi Simrat

We went through a similar exercise earlier in the year. Although you can
import the BE tapes in to the NetBackup catalogue they don't appear in
the duplication screen so you can't duplicate them.

I raised a call with Symantec as I noticed that there was a command
called beconv in the manual that could be used to convert BE catalogues
to NetBackup. The binary didn't appear to exist though. This is
apparently a utility made available in earlier versions of NetBackup
(4.5?) but is now no longer available. I did consider trying to obtain
an earlier copy of NetBackup and using that to do a catalogue conversion
but they said that the way NetBackup treated BE data changed in later
versions so it might not be a goer. It might not have saved a huge
amount of time anyway as you still have to import the tapes.

In the end we did DLT to LT03 duplication in the old BE environment and
now just import the LTO's in to NetBackup as and when restores are
required.

Regards

Richard