Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup server clustering

2006-10-26 12:15:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup server clustering
From: hkemp at lastminute.com (Henry Kemp)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:15:21 +0100
Hi Greg,

In my last site we ran everything on VCS so we setup our master
server as a clustered application within that framework and NetBackup
has all the scripts to install on cluster nodes - this gives you
cover for local hardware failure. To cover us for site failure we
used VVR/GCO in async mode to basically fail NetBackup between sites.
If you don't want to run VCS locally you can just use VVR to fail
over between sites. Its also alot more straightforward if you
separate media/master server functionality when you're clustering.
There is also a change in clustering between 5.x and 6 whereby all
the application binaries are stored on each cluster node rather than
in a shared filesystem so this complicates the upgrade process slightly.

Experience of using NetBackup replicated with VVR was good - just
takes a bit of time to get it engineered and running - after that it
seems to work well...

Henry