Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] rman backups are slow

2006-10-04 12:14:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] rman backups are slow
From: jroyer at digitalmotorworks.com (Joe Royer)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:14:19 -0500 (CDT)
Is the oracle server also a media server?  If not, I have seen this due to
Solaris network drivers.  Although it is odd that your OS backups run at
100MB/s, I never saw that.  Backing up Solaris across a gigabit network I
was never able to exceed 60 MB/s whether it was Oracle or OS data.

I confirmed the bottleneck was solaris by using netcat.  I saw this on
Solaris 8 and 9 on sparc hardware with both ce and ge interfaces.  The ce
interfaces are about 10MB/s faster, but not more than 60 MB/s total.

I'm told Solaris 10 on x86 does not have this problem but I have not tried
it.

If your Oracle server is a media server, my only guess is internal RMAN
throttling.  I'm not a DBA, I don't know how to check for this and I don't
see it in the RMAN Pocket Reference, so check with your DBA.