Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Client Hostnames

2006-09-28 05:47:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Client Hostnames
From: bobbyrjw at bellsouth.net (Bobby Williams)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 05:47:49 -0400
Okay, I will chime in on this one.

You can use DNS to control you backup NIC's.  Any scheme can work.
Consistency will win out.  I have some sites that use 10. instead of the
first octet of the IP address.  The remainder is the same 3 octets in the
production name.  We add a "-b" to the dns name.  Works on both Windows and
Unix clients.  The master and medias are also in DNS with a -b.

I have another set of sites that use 192.168 domain.

Since they are in DNS and use a different name than the public address in
DNS, using the "REQUIRED_INTERFACE" is not necessary.

About the FQN's, we don't use them.  Why type all of those extra characters?
Our DR strategy is to carry our offsite tapes to one of our other sites and
do our recovery.  Without using FQN's, we just bring a development box back
up as a lost production box and put it in the domain of the DR site.

We have to use the /etc/hosts file on the master server at the DR site in
order to translate the backup LAN name to a public LAN due to routing issues
of the 10. and the 192. domains.

As far as the comment about the "REQUIRED_INTERFACE" being needed to keep
the client from going out the incorrect NIC during a restore or a user
backup; if you set up DNS correctly, have the CLIENT_NAME as being on the
backup LAN, and have the backup LAN addresses of the Master set as your
primary Master server, your bplist or restores or UBAC's will work just
fine.

When you implement or convert to a backup LAN, you will probably (for the
systems that had backups done as the public name) have to do an altnames
entry in order to get to older data for restores.

DON'T ever use symbolic links to tie the two names together.  I inherited a
huge master where that was attempted.  It did not work, but was not undone.
What a mess it has been to clean up.

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421