Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to keep snapshot exists after backup finished ?

2006-09-21 00:54:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to keep snapshot exists after backup finished ?
From: ArifB at xl.co.id (Arif Budiman)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:54:18 +0700
Dear fellows,
I am backing up Terabytes of oracle data using offhost backup with
nbu_snap snapshot method. The client is Solaris 9.
I wonder to know how to keep the snapshot (frozen images) exist after
backup finish? Usually, when backup finished, Netbackup will destory the
frozen images on the client. In the policy configuration, There is no
option to keep the frozen images if we use nbu_snap method.
I need to keep the frozen images in order to resume backup jobs if they,
somehow, end unsuccessfully (non 0 status), so they don't start from the
beginning.

Other question, does it still need to bring down oracle database if we
backup it using snapshot? In my opinion, when we use snapshot (ie,
nbu_snap) all changes on the datafiles will be tracked and original data
will be copied to the snapshot. With this method, the backup results of
oracle datafiles will be consistent and can be used to recover the
database (although we performed backup while the database was running).

Thanks

Arif Budiman

PT Excelcomindo Pratama
NOC - Data Center
Mobile : +62817737866
Office  : +62215761881 ext 58221

It is easy to avoid criticism: Say nothing, do nothing, and be nothing.

Arif Budiman

PT Excelcomindo Pratama
NOC - Data Center
Mobile : +62817737866
Office  : +62215761881 ext 58221

It is easy to avoid criticism: Say nothing, do nothing, and be nothing.
This e-mail, including any attachment is confidential and may be privileged.
Use or disclosure of it by anyone other than an intended adressee is strictly
prohibited. If you are not an intended addressee, please notify the sender by
telephone or e-mail and delete the e-mail and any attachment from your system.

PT Excelcomindo Pratama Tbk. ("the " Company") does not accept any liability in
respect of communication made by its employee which is contrary to the company
policy or outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned. The
employee responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other
liability arising.