Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 performance

2006-09-15 07:56:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 performance
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 06:56:31 -0500
On 9/15/2006 2:55 AM, mirko_nbu at mac.com wrote:

> a customer of mine is unsing NetBackup 6.0 on a Windows 2003 platform
> as it's central backup/recovery infrastructure. A FC attached library
> with 3x LTO3 drives is used for storing the data. For better backup/restore
> performance, a disk staging area is used!
>
> Unfortunately, the customer only gets about 20Mb/s performance when storing
> it's staging area to tape. As far as I know, a LTO3 can deliver round about
> 60-70Mb/s
> and starts streaming at about 30-35Mb/s... anyone with the same setup can
> give
> some suggestions?
>
> Buffer sizes are already properly configured...

We still don't have ours performing well yet, but make sure that the
disk staging fragment size is unlimited and do some testing with the
tape fragment size (we're currently using 20GB).

If you do find the magic turbo button, I'd sure appreciate hearing about
it.  We sometimes get over 60 or 70MB/sec from some of our clients
(we've got a flashbackup client that writes directly to tape through a
media server that fast), but many of the destaging jobs go a lot slower
even from hardware that should be able to keep up (e.g. Sun V490).

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org