Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] (no subject)

2006-09-15 04:07:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] (no subject)
From: simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:07:39 +0100
Mirko

Ok, well maybe we can compare things here, because I have been using DSU's
to an HP EVA over fiber, and to be truthful, the throughput is pants !!! In
fact, writing to LTO3 is BETTER than disk.

I do think that writing to disks has been a poor experience for me, and its
something I may not return to, because I cannot see where I am going wrong!!

Things to look at on the client:

1) If AV is running, turn it off
2) If any Disk defrag / maintenance is taking place on the Server (Disk
tune-ups, I/O other than backups), turn off
3) If Tracker.exe is running on the client, turn it off.
4) verify that the correct STU is being used for tape backups
5) What type of files are being backed up? Small files are still no good
(even on fiber its poor).

Over fiber for a server will SMALL files, a 60GB partition can take around
1:30 - 2 hours over LAN Network direct to fiber attached LTO3 Drives.

2TB of Data on a SAN Media Server takes between 4 - 10 hours (sometimes the
last stream can take 10 hours, again its mainly a lot of small files on
here).

HTH - gives some ideas and suggestions. I do NOT use 6.0 as it's a little
buggy (Talk to Ed, he can go into details on this!).

Regards

Simon Weaver
3rd Line Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator