Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.0 Performance Very Slow

2006-09-12 19:06:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.0 Performance Very Slow
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:06:54 -0400
> On 9/11/2006 6:34 AM, Ganapathy G wrote:
> > Recently I Installed Netbackup 6.0 MP3 in our environment with the
> > following architecture.  1 Master Server and 2  Media Server. I am
> > taking file server backup
> > of Mapped Drive of SAN with 730 GB of Data. This is the
> same server in
> > which Media Server is attached . I am having LTO 3 Robotic
> Library with
> > 28 Slots (HP MSP 6000 Model). The Backup takes 30 Hours to
> finish entire
> > 730GB at 7000 KB/ Sec (6MB/Sec)  of data and i tried all
> the performance
> > tuning mentioned in Netbackup guide.  Nothing worked.
> Anybody does the
> > tuning and any suggestion to reduce my backup windows
>
> [...] You said you've tried everything in the tuning guide so
> there's not much else for us to recommend.

Disagree, Ed.

Ganapathy G, why are you saying:

> > and i tried all the performance
> > tuning mentioned in Netbackup guide.  Nothing worked.

That doesn't make any sense.  The Tuning Guide isn't a list of "try-me"
items.  It's a detailed, step-by-step methodology to analyze your
current environment's ability to move data, _not_ just NetBackup.  What
ftp rates did you get, or how else did you evaluate your network
performance?  You copied data from the disk you want to back up to nul?
How fast was it?  Until you can demonstrate to yourself that you can
read the backup data off your disks fast, that you can transfer that
data over the network fast, that you can send it to tape fast, there is
no point in even _installing_ NetBackup, much less tuning it.  This
isn't a tuning issue.  You have a) misconfigured NetBackup, b) a broken
disk, tape or network or c) a backup running over a 100Mb/s network.
The *Troubleshooting* Guide is where you probably should be, not the
tuning guide.

Not trying to put you on the spot, but perhaps if you could describe the
tests and results you have which show disk, network and tape
performance, that would help.