Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP requirements

2006-09-12 11:32:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP requirements
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:32:02 -0400
> Can someone give me a quick run down of what I'll need to start doing
> NDMP backups?  Here's what I think I need:
>
> - NDMP license for NetBackup
> - Extra tape drive to dedicate to NDMP (two preferred)
> - NDMP license on the NetApp

That should do it.
The Netapp should have a "tape" HBA in it.
I think you have to license the feature with NetApp.

> Can I do NDMP to disk staging?  If so, can I get away with
> not having a
> dedicated tape drive, only a dedicated DSSU?  I can see where
> this might
> not be possible as it could limit my options for restore

Not sure, don't think so, but never attempted it.

> I'm assuming the NDMP drive can be in the same library as
> non-NDMP drives.
> Robot control is on the master server.

Yes.

> I'm running 5.1 MP4 (soon MP5) on Linux with LTO2 drives SAN
> attached.  I
> have Vault.  The NetApps (two) are F940s and while it would
> be really nice
> to have NDMP on both, only one is critical right now.  NetApps do not
> talk to the SAN, they are currently backed up via NFS.  I'm
> not new to NBU
> (certified on 5.0), but I have never done NDMP from scratch,
> and of course
> now it's urgent.

Don't need Vault, unless you want to use it for dupes, but you can just
use bpduplicate, if you don't have Vault.

You need to connect the drive to the filer's "tape" HBA, or connect both
to FC switch and zone appropriately.

Get the appropriate map file for the filer:
http://www.netapp.com/solutions/data_protection_devices.html

Drop the file on the filer and run "sysconfig -t" to discover/configure
the drive.

Run:
#> ndmpd on

On the filer console, then IMMEDIATELY put the same command in the rc
file, so that it ocmes up automatically after reboot.

Run:
$ set_NDMP_attr -auth filername username password
on the master to allow it to connect to the filer....you can use the
filer's root passwd, or you can configure an NDMP passwd in OnTap.

Run:
$ set_NDMP_attr -verify
..to determine you can connect to the filer

Run:
$ set_NDMP_attr -probe
...to get a listing of your configured drives.

Add a drive to Netbackup using filername:nrst#a appropriate for your
drive config..

Configure a STU on the master with the name of the NDMP host.
Note: I was running 5.0 Java GUI with no MPs and NDMP wasn't available
in the drop down.
Had to add the STU from the CLI, before I figured out it was the fault
of the GUI.

Once all that's done, you're pretty much ready to backup.

Paul