Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Legato vs NBu

2006-09-11 23:42:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Legato vs NBu
From: james.c.siano at lmco.com (Siano, James C)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:42:32 -0400
I've been using NBU 5.1 and below for several years.  I'm brand new to
NW.
Just had a training class in NW 7.3.  My shop will need to use both for
several reasons.

>From what I seen thus far -- and I'll try not to be an NBU bigot -- is
that the NBU interface is one package and easier to use.  NW 7.3
interfaces are separate tools and are clumsy.  Perhaps I'll be less
clumsy with time.

NBU appears to be more master server centric and NW more client focused.

One really great thing about NW 7.3 is the ability to set a complete
exclude list at the "master" server as opposed to each client.  I don't
know how many registries I've had to change by hand or at the client
options on the master.

Both products indeed have +/- are each have weakness/strengths.  I
believe cost is relatively the same.  NW licensing is cumbersome and can
lead to confusion but locks licenses to node.  Veritas tracks licenses
but holds you to an honor system.  NBU you need to track each client
somehow on a spreadsheet as not to go over your legal limit.

I'll end up backing up my Legato NSR "master" server with my NBU system
and vice versa for best of both worlds.

AS long as each product helps to get lost files and systems back, I'm
happy as an IT, Business Continuity/DR guy.