Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple-Nics

2006-09-11 18:21:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple-Nics
From: SJACOBSO at novell.com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:21:13 -0600
As mentioned from an earlier thread, I'm not sure of your use/need for
the multiple interfaces.

If some or all these multiple interfaces are available for teaming or
bonding, I would do that, and use the REQUIRED_INTERFACE for desired
data stream (ip addr)

-sj

>>> "Martin, Jonathan (Contractor)" <JMARTI05 at intersil.com> 9/11/2006
1:42 PM >>>
Ok... so three new media servers with 4 nics each are headed my way in
the next few weeks.  That's 12 interfaces I've got to worry about!
According to the NBU Performance Planning & Tuning Guide I should create
DNS entries for each interface, and add all interfaces to each server's
bp.conf (or registry in windows.)  I'm going to get all these values
setup and ready to go before the hardware even arrives.

backup1 (IP1)

backup1-neta (IP2)

backup1-netb (IP3)

backup1-netc (IP4)

backup2 (IP1)

backup2-neta (IP2)

backup2-netb (IP3)

backup2-netc (IP4)

backup3 (IP1)

backup3-neta (IP2)

backup3-netb (IP3)

backup3-netc (IP4)

So the servers will all talk to each other across the various nics (by
looking up the server name) but how do clients know which IP to use?
Many of those IPs are going to be on a non-routed "backend" network,
which several clients will not have access to.  How does the Master /
Media server know which nic to use to communicate with the client?
Further, how do I tell my jobs which IP to use?!  For example, if I have
6 nics on 3 servers in the "back end" will NBU automatically local
balance between them?  Perhaps I should enable teaming?  Any input on
how this done properly would be appreciated.  Unfortunately the HOSTS
file lookup method we use now is unacceptable (and dumb) so I'll have to
make this work properly.

-Jonathan