Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Flashbackup and Database clients

2006-09-11 15:37:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup and Database clients
From: Jonathan.Dyck at cognos.com (Dyck, Jonathan)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:37:38 -0400
Agreed.

I implemented a Flashbackup policy for a server with 10M files (30 raw
disk streams, 1.4 TB) this past weekend (using the copy-on-write
method), and it saved me exactly 0 drive hours in the tape drive bank :)
Write speeds were roughly 30-50% faster, but the extra data made up for
the savings.

We run at about 60-70% usage, and were hoping to get away with not
having to divvy up the server into two categories:  which filesystems to
back up with Flashbackup, and which not to.  Looks like the problem is
that the file to block mapping just takes too &@*#$ long.

Cheers,
Jon