Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fame at last.

2006-09-07 11:17:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fame at last.
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:17:44 -0400
I didn't say they had a good case for libel but rather that they might
try such a case to suppress a forum.  I doubt the people that sponsor
most forums have deep enough pockets or desire to get into a protracted
legal wrangle just to continue doing so.

Don't ever imagine lawsuits are only about "justice".  There is enough
history of corporate legal foot dragging just to bleed the smaller guy's
resources dry.  The idea in such suits is not to win the suit but rather
to make the perceived problem go away simply by delay and intimidation.
This is why almost always a lawyer will first write a letter requesting
"cease and desist" first - the threat of action alone may be enough to
get the desired effect.