Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VNB 5.1 MP5 and Encryption

2006-09-07 09:12:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VNB 5.1 MP5 and Encryption
From: austin.murphy at gmail.com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:12:03 -0400
We use NB 5.1 MP5 with the encryption option across all our servers,
Linux, Solaris, & Windows.  It's mostly transparent but there are some
gotchas.

- the performance hit is pretty substantial, especially on slow boxes.
- the blowfish cipher is generally faster than AES, and still very secure.
- encrypted data does NOT compress on tape.  if you want to compress
the data, you have to do the compression before the encryption.
Netbackup has the compression option which works, but is an even
larger performance hit.
- security of the data is only as good as the security of the
encryption key and the passphrase used to generate it.

Austin