Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup running on fedora 5

2006-09-07 08:25:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup running on fedora 5
From: pkoster at ci.grand-rapids.mi.us ("Koster, Phil")
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:25:19 -0400

We have several Fedora Core "servers" getting backed up all the time with no
extra modification.  No FC 5 but we have at least one from every other FC
distro.  We use them for minor services (like wiki page for the network team
only, software store for the network team only, etc.).  We also use Cent OS
more recently and that seems to work ok also although we only have one or two
of those.  My experience thus far has been as long as the kernel ver. is
supported and you are not using a heavily "altered" distro it will probably
work with little or no "extra" tweaks.  We have OES 9 (SuSE), Arch Linux, Cent
OS, RHEL 1-4, FC 1-4, we had SLES for a while working in a Novell environment
(with our masters being in an NT domain, that section broke away so no longer
our problem), and ESX.

As far as the master/media servers though we use RHEL.  Those are too important
to have on an unsupported platform.  The last thing we need is to have a
problem and have support tell us it's our fault for using an unsupported OS ;-)

Phil Koster
Network Administrator
City of Grand Rapids
Direct: 616-456-3136