Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migration from 4.5 FP3 to 6.0

2006-09-06 20:50:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migration from 4.5 FP3 to 6.0
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:50:18 -0500
Yang Xiao wrote:
> After talking to Veritas support, I guess since we are running 4.5 on RH
> 7.3, and non of them is really supported, they suggested that we just
> build the new server with ES 4 and NB 6.0 MP3, and import all of the
> tapes to rebuild the catalog, since they said the 6.0 should read the
> tapes from 4.5.
> Any thoughts on this?

I've seen other people just hang a standalone tape drive onto their old
server and use that for restores, and then configure a new environment
and never import the old tapes.  Depending on the tape technology and
type of data on the tape, I've heard numbers of a day per tape to do an
import.  So...delay the import for as long as possible by leaving the
old environment sitting around and hopefully a lot of the images will
expire before you do the import which you could do perhaps a year from now.

You may also want to really think twice about upgrading to 6.0 now since
it is *not* stable yet.

If your catalog is not corrupt, there's likely no reason why you can't
do a migration to 5.1 on RHEL 4 and then sitting there until 6.0
stabilizes.  A 7.3 to RHEL 4 upgrade is not supported but you could
build a new server with RHEL 4 and NBU 4.5, recover your catalog to it,
and then upgrade it to 5.1.  Then sit there for a few more months and
finally upgrade that to 6.0 MP4 or MP5.  It will be a multi-step
process, but you'll get to a good supportable configuration in the end.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA