Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Clarification - Policies

2006-08-29 13:27:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Clarification - Policies
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:27:58 -0400

The archive bit which the full and differential backups clear is a
facility of the file system.  Whether you are running NTFS or EXT3 the
archive bit is kept per file at the file system level.  It doesn't
matter WHAT backup software you use to clear the archive bit,
incremental backups will only backup files with the archive bit set and
fulls will backup EVERYTHING.  The only difference is that full and
differential backup RESET the archive bit if it is set.  Essentially,
anytime you change a file (open it, save it) the archive bit gets set to
"1" or "please back me up."  When a full or differential backup comes
along it backs up the file and clears the archive bit.  This really has
nothing to do with Netbackup or policies.  You can run simple backups
via windows backup and it still uses the same archive bit.  At one point
I was using WinZip to clear archive bits and rub remote backups while a
tape library was down.

-Jonathan