Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Maximzing Gigabit Performance

2006-08-26 20:40:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Maximzing Gigabit Performance
From: BBahnmiller at pier1.com (Bahnmiller, Bryan)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:40:36 -0500
Martin,

  We were trying to do some performance tuning to see if we could get
our LTO2 and LTO3 drives working more effectively. The most interesting
thing I ran across was setting the fragment size on the storage unit. If
you don't have any fragment size, that is the best. Given our
circumstances we need to run with fragment sizes on our storage units.
For testing purposes, the system was configured with NET_BUFFER_SZ =
262144, SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 262144 and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 16. The
test data was generated by the HPCreateData tool and is supposed to be
2-1 compressible data.

  What I found was that a 1 GB fragment size does not even give an LTO2
drive enough time to come up to its rated speed. It writes for about 6 -
10 seconds, then has to write the EOF marker, then repositions the tape.
Similarly the LTO3 drive does not get up to speed either.

  Here's a quick chart of findings. The media server was an IBM P5/550
with 4 CPUs 8GB RAM with 2 LPARs, each getting half the resources.

LTO2

Fragment Size         Speed

1 GB                  35 MB/s

2 GB                  40 MB/s

4 GB                  43 MB/s

6 GB                  53 MB/s

7 GB                  52 MB/s

8 GB                  44 MB/s

10 GB                 41 MB/s

12 GB                 49 MB/s

No fragment           58 MB/s   (approximately LTO2 max speed at 2-1
compression)

LTO3

1 GB                  41 MB/s

2000 MB               44 MB/s

2 GB                  55 MB/s

4 GB                  51 MB/s

5000 MB               49 MB/s

6 GB                  58 MB/s

8 GB                  63 MB/s

10000 MB              79 MB/s

10 GB                 81 MB/s

12 GB                 61 MB/s

No fragment           82 MB/s

  I think the upper limits on my LTO3 speed are due to my inability to
get the AIX tuning correct. My disk subsystem should be able to supply
data at roughly 130 MB/s and the LTO3 drives should be able to handle
that. Something is not right on my tuning.

  But I did find it very interesting as to the impact that fragment size
can have on the tape performance.

Bryan Bahnmiller

ISD Business Continuity

Pier 1 Imports, Inc