Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup DB inconsistency ?

2006-08-23 11:03:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup DB inconsistency ?
From: ssesar at mitre.org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:03:58 -0400
This is actually one thing that annoys me about Symantec/Veritas. Given
the nature of their catalog/database architecture, it certainly lends
itself to lose synchronization. This can directly lead to data loss,
when you have live images on tapes marked as scratch or available.

NBU *does* give you the option to run a consistency check on your own
(bpdbm -consistency 2), however, if your image database is anything but
tiny, most NBU shops won't have enough idle time to run that command to
completion.

So, in order to adequately protect your data, you need to periodically
open up a ticket with Symantec, in order to do this consistency check.

Not only does NBCC need to run while the backup system is idle, but once
you run backups again, the consistency check needs to be run again,
because new backups make changes to the catalog/databases.

Now, assuming that you get a cracker-jack NBU engineer to turn around
your NBCC data quickly, you also must make the appropriate changes
before backups can run again, or else you run into the same issue that I
described above.

Major PITA! Not sure if anything is different in 6.x, as we haven't
eval'd it yet. Hopefuly, the changes that they've made in 6.x have
obviated the need to run these types of consistency checking.

--Steve

Major, Rusty wrote:
> You need to use the Netbackup Catalog Consistency Utility (NBCC),
> found here. It will run against all the databases and create reports.
> It doesn't fix anything itself, but with this info and a case with
> Veritas, you can get it fixed. Note, this only works on 4.5 - 5.1
> environments.
>
> http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267965.htm
>
> I'm actually just about to start the utility on one of my environments
> myself.
>
> -Rusty

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730