Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?

2006-08-18 07:29:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?
From: pcd at xinupro.com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 07:29:25 -0400

I have a couple of customers using DSSU's in NBU6.  First of all, I do use
storage unit groups
with multiple DSSUs as part of them.  Almost all have "re-used" existing
storage as a general
trend, so the back end storage has been RAID 1 or RAID 5 more times than not.
The size of each
DSSU depends on what the client profiles, back end storage density and
policy/schedule quantities
and frequencies.  Kind of need to put all that in your brain and make a best
guess.  I have found that
setting the mfs on the DSSU hasn't aided any of the situations I've set up and
in fact
when using multiple DSSUs in a storage unit group, the smaller (512mb) mfs has
better distribution
on smaller sides DSSUs.  Flushing is done only after phase 2 is complete and
successful.  So if
your schedule is not frequent enough, it will not prune out images as there
would still be only
1 copy of that backup image.  Looking forward to next updates when the volume
pool can be specified
at a more granule level instead of all disk staging for that DSSU goes to one
pool.  I've taken
the approach for some customers to have cumulative or incrementals go to DSSUs
and fulls and archives
go strait to tape.  Also, setting the storage unit group usage profile is
something to consider if
you go that route (prioritized, least used and failover).  As far as HWM and
LWM, I've generally
left the HWM default (98%) and set the LWM to sometimes 60%, but that depends
on the available resources
for phase 2 and the frequency as well.  If you want to have the most possible
images on disk for
faster restores, then taking your LWM down to 40% will make that difficult.

Thanks
Peter

Peter DrakeUnderkoffler
Xinupro, LLC