Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best NBU 5.1 Patch?

2006-08-17 17:15:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best NBU 5.1 Patch?
From: Len.Boyle at sas.com (Len Boyle)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:15:32 -0400
We also ran into sched problems with nbu 6.0, not as bad Ed. But most of them
have been fixed with MP3 and the post MP3 patches.
We have three systems using netbackup 6. One is very small and only saw one
sched error with a 200 error code. The second system is medium sized and we saw
a little bit of scheduler problems. All of which were fixed with the patches.
We did gain one instance of a new error. But a number of old issues with nbu
5.1 were improved with the upgrade to 6.0.

We have one large system that only does netapp ndmp backups. This system had
many different problems with netbackup 6.0
- Some were related to the new monitor interfaces, and these seem to be fixed.
- Some were strange and we were able to work around them with touch files.
- Some were a fall out of running a large system on a smp host. This were fixed
by MP3
- We also had severe performance issues, which was a result of turning up the
debug level on ndmp logs.
We turned down the debug level and things improved. 35KB vs 35000KB backup rate
to lto-2 tapes.

So if you are going to move to nbu 6 on a good size smp backup server, I would
suggest that the lowest level of code should be MP3.

The new logging format does use up much more in the way of disk space. But they
do seem to have more info for solving the old fashion problems.

len