Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpgp ? OT

2006-08-15 09:11:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpgp ? OT
From: ssesar at mitre.org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:11:11 -0400
I find it amazing that an enterprise product has no secure means of
remotely installing client software/updates. Yes, one can pretty easily
hack the install scripts to use scp, but why on Earth should we have to?
it's a really easy hack for us, who knows why Symantec/Veritas has never
done it. It really is low-hanging fruit. Last September when I spoke
with the lead developer for the team that maintains this portion of the
application, he became red-faced and thought that it would be included
in 6.1. We'll see........

ida3248b at post.cybercity.dk wrote:
> Hello Dave
>
> There was howto on replacing rsh with ssh on this list at some point, if
> that's any help.
>
> regards
> Michael
>
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:00:02 +0100, Clooney, David wrote
>
>> Thanks for that Ed
>>
>> Pushing out from the master would be ideal, however remote shell is a
>> def no no in this environment.
>> I certainly don't have logins to all the servers for Ftp_to client
>> either.
>>
>> In a fix I'm afraid, like you idea of a template though.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Dave

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730