Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New 6.0MP3 Master server, old 5.1MP3 Media

2006-08-08 11:35:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New 6.0MP3 Master server, old 5.1MP3 Media
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:35:23 -0400
> I haven't been able to find the answer to this question in the SAG...

Be sure you're familiar with the DR procedures section of the
Troubleshooting Guide, and the Release Notes and the Impact Guide as
well (Veritas support site, NetBackup 6 manuals).

Your plan:
-  v5master, v5media, two weeks of backups that you don't care about
-  replace master with new install, same name, trash the backups
-  use v6master with v5media
-  disconnect v6master
-  put v5master back in place and use it
-  re-create your implementation on v6master offlime
-  put v6master back in place next maintenance window?
-  upgrade v5media to v6media next maintenance window?

You are doing a lot of work to set yourself up for failure.

a.  If you accept a dictate to do this under constraints that do not
allow you to do it in a supported way--not to mention without test and
backout time--well, let's just say there's always a quality way to do
things and that isn't it.  The room isn't on fire, is it?

b.  If you don't care about the old backups, then uninstall v5 and
install v6 on  master and media and be done with it.  It doesn't take
that long to re-create STUs and classes by hand in the GUI, much less if
you script it.

c.  Small-window/do-the-least-harm principle:  catalog backup, replace
oldmaster with newmaster, install v5, bprecover.  Backout is reinstall
oldmaster and bprecover media server if appropriate.  Resume normal
operations until next window.

d.  Do the upgrade by the book.  Open a support call and let Veritas
check current state and your plan.  Catalog backup, upgrade master to
v6, pushdata, usev5hosts, separate catalog backup.  Backout is reinstall
v5 and bprecover.  Resume normal operations.

e.  Upgrade media in a subsequent window, before-and-after catbackups.