Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SDLT 600 vs LTO3 ?!

2006-08-07 16:50:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SDLT 600 vs LTO3 ?!
From: David.Mackie at synergistic.com.au (David Mackie)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 06:50:01 +1000
Some of these comments are interesting as what I am hearing from Quantum
is  big investment in DLT-S4. These drives will deliver 800GB native so
these would be 1.6TB tapes with average 2:1 compression.

There are also in built enryption benefits and DLT-Ice for Worm
considerations, down side (I think) there is very limited backward
compatibility. For me the speed issue is less of a concern given that I
tend to use Virtual Tape and then duplicate to real tape at leasure, I
do like the DX Series boxes from quantum as they scale down to workgroup
style boxes, they have a good story with speed given the way they write
the files to disk and just around the corner they will do some very
fancy (virtual) media duplication and moving things in box.

I am giving DLT-S4 a good look for some customers who are at the cross
roads you are at.

David Mackie
Infrastructure Architect - Director

Synergistic Network Solutions Pty Limited
PO Box 6201
Conder, ACT 2906
Australia
Email: David.Mackie at synergistic.com.au