Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Anyone using VTL

2006-08-01 17:57:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using VTL
From: dave-bu at graniteweb.com (David Rock)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:57:45 -0500
* briandiven at northwesternmutual.com <briandiven at northwesternmutual.com>
[2006-08-01 14:29]:
> I guess this begs the question to the audience and the people that have
> put in VTL's ... what problems does a VTL solve that D2D can not?
>
> I think the list so far is:
>
> 1.  Administration is easier
> 2.  Possibly performance
> 3.  Compression (1/2 the disk of D2D)
> 4.  I can use it to stress test a new NBU release
>
> Anything else?

The biggest one that no-one has mentioned yet is the ability to share
resources between media servers.  With VTL, you can use SSO to allow
multiple media servers access to the same resources just like real tape
drives.  DSSUs are still confined to the one media server that has
access to the disk.

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com