Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Anyone using VTL

2006-08-01 15:02:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using VTL
From: HallC at SEC.GOV (Hall, Christian N.)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 15:02:44 -0400
Juan,

I would have to agree with John Howard on this. We looked at VTL for our
backup environment but before we could see where to put it.  We asked
ourselves what problem(s) are we trying to solve. In some cases the VTL
can give performance boosts where tape drives are the bottleneck.
However, if tape drives are under utilized it might logical
configurations (e.g, buffer settings, backup configurations) needing to
be adjusted or removed. It could be a limitation of host architecture,
or other elements such as networking, number of files being backed up,
type of data etc..

-Chris