Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0

2006-07-29 12:18:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0
From: dave-bu at graniteweb.com (David Rock)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:18:47 -0500
* Hadrian Baron <Hadrian.Baron at vegas.com> [2006-07-28 14:54]:
> We are going from NB5.0MP5 to 6.0 MPX next month.
>
> Due to many issues - including corrupt images, massive policy changes,
> and most importantly, the perceived difficulty involved with migrating
> from Windows 2003 to Solaris 10 environments, I've decided to leave the
> existing server online and just zone off the HBAs from our Storagetek.
> If I need to restore, zone off the new server and boot the old box.
>
> Is this too simplistic an approach?  We hardly ever do restores from
> tape.  99% of restores take place from snapshots on our NetApps gear.

The only real issue with that is making sure the client will accept
restores from the old server.  If you really have only an occasional
restore, there is nothing wrong with doing it this way.  A clean install
is ALWAYS a better way to go if you can deal with leaving the history
behind.

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com